Epic Bay Ocean Race
For all results please click here
Thank you to all of the competitors and volunteers who made it such a successful race, with 93 entries for 2022.
Epic Bay 22 Race Information
Click here for pdf Race Information
Saturday 21 May 2022, First Race 11.00
Exmouth Beach Rescue Club, Queen’s Drive, Exmouth EX8 2AY
Welcome to the 5th Epic Bay Ocean Racing (surfski) event, run by Epic Kayaks UK and SLSGB.
This race is a non-profit event, organised for the surfski community, and suits all levels from first time racers through to those trialling for the GB OR team.
- be a current Member (Direct or Club) of SLSGB see slsgb.org.uk
- agree to the Race Declaration
- carry the requisite safety equipment (see below)
GB Ocean Racing Team Assessment Race
For those wishing to be assessed for the GB OR Team read the selection policy and submit your registration form prior to racing – see British Canoeing Ocean Racing Selection Policy 2022
GPS Event Tracking
All competitors will be provided with a GPS tracker provided by votwo.co.uk for competitor safety, and for friends and family to follow all the race action 'LIVE' on the day. Link to be published on Epic Kayaks UK facebook.
The course will be 3 laps of a triangular course, total of approx. 10 miles. The start and finish will be on the beach in front of Exmouth Beach Rescue Club.
Min Safety Equipment
Items will be checked at Registration. No equipment no race.
- Seaworthy craft suitable for the conditions
- Leg leash is mandatory. You are responsible for ensuring it is securely attached to your leg and craft
- Body PFD that complies to ICF standards
- Means of communication either VHF radio or mobile, charged and in working condition
This is an Ocean Surfski Race, dependent on the weather, there is no plan B race. We will be reviewing the race conditions in the 5 days prior to the event, and an update will be provided, on social media and the Website. If necessary a final call by the event team will be made 48 hours prior to the start of the race.
- 9.30 Race Registration Safety kit checked, race number issued and tracker fitted to PFD
- 10.15 Race Brief
- 10.50 Assemble on start line
- 11.00 Start
Men or Women for each Class:
- Under 18* 17 or under on the 1st Jan 2022
Minimum age 16 on the day of the event (younger competitors will be considered on receipt of an email from an established Ocean Racing Coach).
- Under 23* Must be 22 or under on the 1st Jan 2022
- Seniors 23-34*
- Masters 35-54 Must be 35 on the 1st Jan 2022 (Non-Assessment Race)
- Veterans 55+ Must be 55 on the 1st Jan 2022 (Non-Assessment Race)
*If you are wishing to use this event as a GB Assessment Race you MUST enter either U18,U23, Seniors or Para.
There will be an open class for Doubles, should any combination of paddlers wish to enter (non-assessed).
For a prize to be awarded in each class there must be:
- 1st - 3+ competitors on the start line for that class
- 2nd – 5+ in the class
- 3rd – 10+ in the class
For classes with less than 3 competitors will default into the next category down.
i.e. Veterans to Masters, Masters to Seniors.
To enter you will need your current SLSGB membership number (or affiliated SLS membership)
- Complete the Entry Form
- Agree to the Race Declaration
- Make the payment (link in the Entry Form)
- On receipt of your Entry Epic UK will confirm your start place by issuing your race number.
Single Ski £35 Double Ski £50
(£10 admin fee will be non refundable should the race be cancelled because of the weather. This fee is required for us to book event safety cover in advance).
Entries open 21 April, limited to 100 places, plus reserves.
Please pay via the link on the Entry Form for Epic Bay 2022
Safety will be provided by Exmouth Beach Rescue Club, under SLSGB regulations. The Race Organiser and Safety Manager retain final decisions on safety and have the right to remove anyone from the race deemed unsafe.
All race staff are volunteers and your cooperation is appreciated.
Jim Taylor-Ross 07813845890
Annabel Taylor-Ross 07768630388
Entry Form for Epic Bay 2022
Results will be found here at the end of the race.
Come to Devon for the Weekend? Recommended Campsite: Prattshayes Campsite
Other races this year:Rhoose Ski Race - Barry, S Wales
Sunday 15 May