Epic Bay Ocean Race
The next race will be Epic Bay 24 - 18 / 19 May 2024
Exmouth Beach Rescue Club, Queen’s Drive, Exmouth EX8 2AY
Many thanks to everyone who helps to make Epic Bay such a success. 77 paddlers came to Exmouth to race in 2023. We'd like to thank:
- East Devon County Council
- Exmouth Beach Rescue Club
- Kirton Kayaks
- GD Media
- Eve Neusinger
- Barny Hull
- Numerous volunteers including Holly, Emma H, Emma and Rob, Roo, PJs, Justin etc
- Babysitters / dog sitters / partners, grandparents, and other willing (or otherwise) supporters
Race info for 2023
Welcome to the 6th Epic Bay Ocean Racing (surfski) event, run by Epic Kayaks UK and Exmouth Beach Rescue, under SLSGB.
This race is a non-profit event, organised for the surfski community. This race is specifically designed to suit all levels of paddlers, from first time racers (who may wish to complete 1, 2 or 3 laps) through to those trialling for the GB Ocean Racing Team.
This Ocean Race is the second GB Team Assessment race of the season.
Saturday 13 May 2023
10:00 Registration Opens - bring safety kit to registration
12:15 Race Briefing for all competitors
12:45 Marshalling on start line
13:00 Race Starts
16:00 Prize Giving
Sunday 14 May 2023
SLS IRB Racing
To enter Competitors must:
- be a current Member (Direct or Club) of SLSGB see slsgb.org.uk
- agree to the Race Declaration when completing the Entry Form
- carry the requisite safety equipment (see below)
SLSGB Membership - why?
Annual SLSGB membership is £25, either Direct or affiliated to a particular Club. There is no option for day membership.
Epic Bay is kindly hosted by Exmouth Beach Rescue Club, which is an SLS Club. They provide the safety cover including the IRBs (safety boats) and crew. We affiliate with SLSGB as they have the best processes, experience, knowledge and equipment. If we were to independently insure and contract safety cover your entry price would double. British Canoeing doesn't authorise ocean racing in England and cannot provide safety equipment or crews.
The events covered by your SLSGB membership includes Rhoose, Epic Bay and the Sussex Classic.
Race Brief - all competitors must read this.
Click here for pdf 2023 Race Brief
Up to date Information
Race information will be updated on this webpage, on Epic Kayaks UK facebook page and on the Info Only Epic Bay 23 Whatsapp Group join here
GB Ocean Racing Team Assessment Race
For those wishing to be assessed for the GB OR Team you must refer to the British Canoeing Ocean Racing Selection Policy and complete the athlete Registration Form, from the GB Ocean Racing Working Group.
The course will be 3 laps of a triangular course, total of approx. 10 miles. The start and finish will be on the beach in front of Exmouth Beach Rescue Club.
Paddlers new to racing may choose to do less than 3 laps.
To see live progress of the race see Votwo Geotracks
GPS Event Tracking and Bibs
All competitors will wear a GPS tracker provided by (the fantastic) Ben at votwo.co.uk for competitor safety, and for friends and family to follow all the race action 'LIVE' on the day.
All competitors will hand in their tracker and race bib immediately at the end of the race. Do NOT cut or change your race bib, it is worn over your PFD.
To follow the action go to : Geotracks Live Link
To watch the start and end of the race on livestream please subscribe to: VOTWO youtube
If you are unable to attend please contact Epic UK as soon as possible.
On the day if you choose not to start the race you need to inform Registration.
Your entry fee will be refunded, less £10 admin fee. This is to ensure you make your own decision to race or not to race, depending on the conditions and your preparedness on the day - safety first.
Min Safety Equipment
Items will be checked at Registration. No equipment, no race.
- Seaworthy surfski suitable for the conditions (checked on start line)
- Leg leash. You are responsible for ensuring it is securely attached to your leg and craft.
- Body PFD that complies to ICF standards.
- Means of communication - either VHF radio or mobile phone, charged and in working condition in waterproof pouch securely fitted to the paddler/PFD.
- Race bib, number facing forward (issued at Registration).
- Tracker (fitted at registration).
This is an Ocean Surfski Race dependent on the weather, there is no plan B race. We will be reviewing the race conditions in the 5 days prior to the event, and an update will be provided, on social media and the Website. If necessary a final call by the event team will be made 48 hours prior to the start of the race.
For Terms and Conditions please read here.
Minimum age 16 on the day of the event (younger competitors will be considered on receipt of an email from an established Ocean Racing Coach).
Men or Women for each Class (except Doubles):
- Under 18* - 17 or under on the 1st Jan 2023
- Under 23* - Must be 22 or under on the 1st Jan 2023
- Seniors 23-34*
- Masters 35-54 - Must be 35 on the 1st Jan 2023 (Non-Assessment)
- Veterans 55+ - Must be 55 on the 1st Jan 2023 (Non-Assessment)
- Open Doubles for any combination of paddlers wish to enter (Non-Assessment).
*If you are wishing to use this event as a GB Assessment Race you MUST enter either U18,U23, Seniors or Para, and complete the BC Athlete Registration form prior to racing.
For a prize to be awarded in each class there must be:
- 1st - 3+ competitors on the start line for that class
- 2nd – 5+ in the class
- 3rd – 10+ in the class
For classes with less than 3 competitors will default into the next class.
To enter you will need your current SLSGB membership number (or affiliated SLS membership). If you enter a false or out of date number you risk not being entered and may lose your entry fee.
- Read the Race Brief.
- Complete the Entry Form
- Agree to the Race Declaration
- Make the payment (link in the Entry Form)
Single Ski £35 Double Ski £50
(£10 admin fee will be non refundable should the race be cancelled because of the weather. This fee is required for us to book event safety cover in advance).
Entries open 15 April 2023, limited to 100 places, plus reserves.
Safety will be provided by Exmouth Beach Rescue Club, under SLSGB regulations. The Race Organiser and Safety Manager retain final decisions on safety and have the right to remove anyone from the race deemed unsafe.
All race staff are volunteers and your cooperation is appreciated.
Jim Taylor-Ross 07813845890
Annabel Taylor-Ross 07768630388
Entry Form For Epic Bay 2023
Results will be found here at the end of the race.
Come to Devon for the Weekend?
Recommended Campsite: Prattshayes Campsite
Epic Bay 22
Thank you to all of the competitors and volunteers who made it such a successful race, with 93 entries for 2022.
For all 2022 results please click here
GB Team Assessment races and ICF World Champs 2023:
- Rhoose Ski Race - Barry, S Wales
- Epic Bay - Exmouth, Devon
- Sussex Classic – Lancing, Brighton, E Sussex
- Celtic Classic, Carbis Bay, St Ives, Cornwall
- Fishguard Bay Ocean Race - Fishguard, Wales
- ICF World Championships, Australia